Speech therapy is not just about what happens in the therapy room—it’s also about practicing skills at home. Involving caregivers and grandparents in home carryover can greatly increase a child’s progress.Continue reading
In this week’s blog, learn how to model and encourage the use of communication boards to increase communication and build meaningful relationships.Continue reading
Learn how understanding the use of AAC can build a community of compassionate accepting individuals.Continue reading
Inclusive playgrounds create an environment of acceptance for all children. When designing a playground it is important to include the key elements.Continue reading
Play is important at all stages of child development. Play is the ‘work’ of childhood.Continue reading
Holidays can be a time when the normal routine is disrupted. It’s time to get back on track and follow your daily routine.Continue reading
Imagine this: the sun shining, laughter echoing, and kids of all abilities playing together on the playground. Wouldn’t that be incredible? YOU can make this happen! Introducing a special communication board to your community playground, ensures that every child, regardless of their communication abilities, can join in the fun.
**Why a Playground Communication Board?**
Some of our friends need a little extra help talking. A communication board on the playground opens up a world of play and connection for everyone. It’s not just a board; it’s a bridge that connects hearts and creates lasting friendships.
**How Can You Help?**
We believe in the power of community! By making a commitment to provide a playground communication board to your local playground, you become a superhero in making the playground inclusive and accessible for all. Here are 5 easy steps for how you can be a part of this exciting journey:
**Make a plan:**
Ask yourself (and your committee) these questions as this project takes shape:
- What playground would benefit from communication boards?
- What languages are predominantly spoken in your community?
- How would the communication boards best be installed (ie: free standing in a frame, attached to a fence, attached to a piece of equipment, secured to a side of a building, etc.)
**Research Your Options**
When looking for a company to provide the communication signs, you want to ask the following questions:
- Has a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist developed the vocabulary?
- Can the communication sign be 100% customized if need be at a reasonable price?
- Is the overall price reasonable?
- Is communication with a REAL PERSON easy, efficient and effective?
- Does the company stand behind the quality of their communication signs?
Everyone likes to be part of a great idea that helps everyone in the community.
- Research different funding opportunities in your community.
- Get creative and host a mini-fundraiser in your neighborhood, school, or workplace. Bake sales, garage sales, or even a fun-themed event can make a big impact.
- Reach Out to Local Businesses – local businesses love supporting community projects. Approach them and see if they would be interested in sponsoring our playground communication board.
**Making it all come together**
Once your vision is set, you’ve made your selection and the funding is in place, it is important that the production of the communication sign is fast and accurate:
- Ensure you receive a draft copy of the artwork/layout prior to production.
- Share your agency’s and/or funding source’s logo to be included on the communication sign
- Expect frequent and clear communication
When your playground communication board arrives, plan for a playground part to unveil this great accomplishment. Celebrate the fact that you have made a firm statement in your community that:
- Inclusivity Matters: Every child deserves the chance to play and communicate on the playground.
- Building Friendships is Important: The communication board isn’t just a tool; it’s a bridge to new friendships and shared adventures.
- Community Unity Matters: Together, you helped to create a community that embraces and supports every child’s unique abilities.
Record your journey on social media with regular updates, stories of triumph, and a behind-the-scenes look at how your contributions are making a real difference.
Join us in creating a playground that speaks the language of joy, friendship, and inclusivity. Together, we’re building bridges that last a lifetime!
A brand new year is days away, and that means we get a chance to make some new resolutions! This year, let’s think about making some special resolutions for speech therapy.
**Practice Every Day:**
One resolution could be to practice your speech exercises every day. Turn practice into playing a game. The more you practice, the better you will become!
**Use My Special Words:**
Use the special words your speech therapist teaches you as much as possible. These words help you talk smoothly, and they make you feel super proud!
**Speak Slowly and Clearly:**
Work on speaking slowly and clearly. This way, everyone can understand you when you talk.
**Tell More Stories:**
Make a resolution to tell more stories or help your child tell more stories. Share your adventures, dreams, and funny moments. It’s a fun way to practice talking.
Ask more questions and join in conversations. Questions help you learn new things, and it’s a cool way to make friends!
**Read Out Loud:**
Reading out loud is like a speech party! Pick your favorite books and read them to friends, family, or even to a pet. It’s great practice!
**Be Patient and Positive:**
Sometimes, it might feel tricky, but you might want to promise to be patient. Stay positive and celebrate even the small wins. Every step is a step forward!
**Thank Your Speech Helpers:**
We help each other, and this year, thank your speech buddies. We’re in this together!
**Try New Sounds:**
Be adventurous and try new speech sounds. It’s like a fun challenge to make your speech even more awesome!
At the end of each month, celebrate the progress you’ve made. Maybe treat yourself to something special. Yay for progress!
So there you go, friends! These speech therapy resolutions are yours for the taking. Let’s make it an amazing year of talking, growing, and reaching new speech goals together. Here’s to a fantastic year ahead!
‘Twas days before Christmas
And all thru the place,
Anticipation was brewing
Behaviors a disgrace.
Young and old are excited
Let’s celebrate – oh Joy!
Use your expected social skills
For every girl and boy.
With gifts a plenty
Don’t forget the magic word,
For friends and family,
“Thank you” must be heard.
All the smells and sounds
For many is bliss,
Yet other lament
“I can do without this!”
Have a plan in place
Creating comfort abound,
Makes for a season
Of happiness all ‘round.
Happy Holidays to all
The message to you each,
Tidings of joy to everyone
From Lakeshore Speech!
Getting and giving gifts can be exciting but hard for some individuals. Preparing for this time of the year helps to make everyone’s celebration special.Continue reading